The Dartmouth Observer

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares

Tuesday, January 13, 2004
 
My favorite game

As some of you may know, I'm a huge soccer fan: it comes with not being an American, I guess. Long have I maintained that the game is the secret to world peace. A Swedish MP in fact nominated the game for the Nobel Peace Prize. No doubt he had heard the famous WWI story about how on Christmas Day, British and German forces stopped fighting each other and played soccer instead.

Well, according to the New Republic's Franklin Foer, writing in that excellent publication Foreign Policy, maybe a Nobel Prize for Economics is more appropriate. I've just skimmed it, but will report back shortly with more thoughts. For now, I will comment on this statement: "Teams like...Manchester United only fall from their thrones for brief and historically insignificant spells." Wrong. Man Utd have only been a dominant force in the English game for the past 10 years or so. Thank god for that. Damn Mancs.