The Dartmouth Observer
Friday, April 04, 2003
On Queer Blitzes:
Some independent points of analysis regarding the Queer Bar night blitz and the FreeDartmouth:
1. It is an insult to people's intelligence to use words like 'Get your Queer On' in alternating caps.
2. The blitz, whether sent by Chi Gam or the CWG, would still be offensive in that gut reaction kind of way.
3. There won't even be good looking people there. It will mostly be a cackle of militant identity-ists projecting images of 'pride.' I would like to think that there exists something more important than sexual oreintation, race, gender, etc. in the world.
4. 'Heterosexist' parties? Come on and get off it. I'm tired of the invisible hegemonic paradigms ubiquitously suppressing all. I believe DMX sums it up with 'I'm about to loose my mind, up in here, up in here.' I'll be having the indignant minorities night at Long Pine sometime soon. Our guest star will be 'Guilty Liberals and their Monochromatic Identities...' The best thing that will ever happen to gays, blacks, women, etc. is when we can honestly say 'Our list of allies grows thin...' *sigh* (And worse of all, though completely unrelated, it's April 4th and its bloody snowing in Hanover. It's been snowing since this month started.
5. Read Sullivan's article "We are all Sodomites Now". It's wonderful.
The offending member:
**********oo, pretty stars*****
QuEER bAr NiGHt
(if this snazzy combination of lower case and caps doesn't grab your attention, we don't know what will)
(now for some perfunctory slang)
Get yo' QUEER on at LONE PINE TAVERN. We'll be mixing it up with CRaZy drinks yo, like:
Out with a Twist
Siegfried and Roy Rogers
one FrEe with a drink ticket when you roll in. And kickA$$ appetizers.
Show off your VoCaL StYLiNZ at our phat KARAOKE machine.
Competition @ 10 pm!!! AWesum prizez... it's gonna be riDUNCulous, yo!
Win some TiGHT DoOR PRiZeS.
(now for some irrelevant pop culture references)
Come see Lone Pine like you've never seen it before! It's HeRE, IT's QUEeR, (go lone pine, it's your birthday....) This bar is not nearly as SkeTchY as Colin Farrell might not have been.
(and now to quote that oh-so-overquoted anthem)
"It's gettin hot out there, so come to Q-B-N... "
So do it... Thursday. April 3rd, 9pm to 1am, at the LPT... coMe sTrAigHT or with a tWisT
*****more pretty stars***********
This message brought to you by GSA.
Much thanks to COSO, Programming Board and LonePineTavern for sponsoring Queer Bar Night at Lone Pine Tavern. Special thanks to Don, Lena, Tim, Patrick, and the awesome staff at Lone Pine.