The Dartmouth Observer

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares

Tuesday, September 03, 2002
 
The Methamphetamine of the Masses

Karl Marx had it all wrong. Were religion an opiate, Tammy Faye Baker would long ago have succumbed to a sweet and peaceful sleep. Using her as the case in point, I posit religion to be something along the lines of speed.

That said, Laura wishes a debate on religion in the Observer, and there's nothing I enjoy quite as much (except when Bush's numbers fall, and I anticipate my own personal Herbal Essences commercial if Bob Smith loses his seat to Jeanne Shaheen). Without fanfare, I will out and say that I think religion should no longer have a seat in the public sphere vis-a-vis any government program, and stand willing to vociferously, and without doubt of my success, defend that stand. Rather than going on the offensive as regards this opinion, I welcome specific attacks directed at that stance with open arms so that I might save myself a lot of effort defending against attacks that may not come. Once more, dear friends, into the breach!