The Dartmouth Observer

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares

Friday, May 06, 2005
 
Sorry for not posting lately. It's not that work is all of a sudden more hectic. Perhaps I'm suffering from Blogger Fatigue (which affects even the best of them -- although you wouldn't know it from reading Sullivan); perhaps -- and I think this is the more likely reason -- I've just lost a little interest in politics and the stuff that usually features on this blog. Take the trustee election, for instance (which should be over by the time I type this): I had my say some time ago (just scroll down), but haven't really said anything since. Why? Well, for one thing, Dartlog's covering the election just fine. And second, like Brad Plumer, I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I'd like Todd and Peter to get elected, but it isn't the end of the world if they lose (as I trust they know).

Perhaps it's this country. A fellow countryman -- someone whom I went to school with a long time ago -- has just been threatened with legal action from the government for posting defamatory comments about them on his erstwhile blog. Since he's taken down his blog, I've no way of knowing what exactly he said.

But what the heck. This is outrageous. (See here for extended coverage.) It's one thing to sue prominent opposition leaders, as the PAP does so often (and which I also disagree with, by the way). It's another thing entirely to threaten legal action against one random blogger for speaking his mind. What possible harm to the government's reputation could he have done? Don't those government lawyers have better things to do than comb the web for criticism that "went way beyond fair comment"? Apparently not. And what constitutes "beyond fair comment"?

I'm not expecting any answers soon. And that's why the powers that be shouldn't expect me to hang around for longer than I have to.